Moving to a different location comes with a multitude of challenges and decisions to be made. If you know you are moving locations ahead of time, there are ways to plan ahead to make for a smooth transition. Here are some of the best ways to stay on top of what needs to be done and to keep yourself from going crazy!
- Know your move-in date: Make a date and stick to it! This will give you time to hire who you need to, give your employees notification, and set up any utilities so you are not without internet or phones for longer than you need to be. Nothing is worse than having to hire last minute professionals when they may not perform the optimum service.
- Decide on professional or DIY: Decide ahead of time if you are going to hire professional movers. Depending on the size of your office and if you can recruit help from employees will determine whether you should hire commercial movers or make it work on your own. Don’t hurt yourself to save a few bucks.
- Create an inventory list: Things get lost on a daily basis, so imagine what could go missing during a complete move. Create an inventory list and divvy it up by department. This ensures that you know what you already have and each department can be responsible for making sure it makes it through transport.
- Procure plenty of packing materials: You will need boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape, etc. to ensure your materials make it over in one piece. High-value electronics will need special attention as those are not items you want to find in tiny pieces upon arrival.
- Plan out your utilities: Be sure you understand how the utilities function at your new location. You’ll need to have these set up either before you arrive or immediately when you arrive. If you depend on internet or phone lines for your business to function, you need these setup and working to make sure you do not lose valuable time for your business.
There are many other nuances that go into the moving process. These are a few ideas to add to your checklist as you plan ahead or try and keep yourself together on a short-notice relocation. Know that you can make it work, that there will be bumps along the way, but if you keep yourself level-headed and focused on the idea that moving locations is an amazing step on the journey of expanding your business.